A Smoothwall Group is a collection of users that can be used to configure features in Smoothwall Filter and Smoothwall Monitor. Smoothwall Groups are mapped from a directory such as Active Directory, Azure Active Directory or Google Directory. This means that you are not explicitly modifying those directories in Smoothwall.
Note: You must have Admin level permission to be able to create Smoothwall Groups.
Before you begin, ensure that:
- You have Administrator level permission in Smoothwall.
- Your directories are synced with Smoothwall (Azure or Google)
Creating a Smoothwall Group
- Go to your Smoothwall Portal home page.
- Select to Admin Panel.
- Select Smoothwall Groups from the sidebar.
- If you are a multi-tenanted organisation, select a school from the Tenant dropdown. If you manage one school, you will not see this dropdown.
Note: If you select the Global Tenant, your Smoothwall Groups will be accessible to all the schools that you manage, alternatively you can select a specific school.
- Select Add Smoothwall Group.
- Enter a Group Name and Group Description.
- If you have multiple directories available, select the Directory using the dropdown.
- Using the checkboxes, select the Directory Groups you want to map into your Smoothwall Group.
Note: If you have multiple directories (Active Directory, Azure Active Directory or Google Directory), you can map the users from all your directories into one Smoothwall Group. This means you don’t have to create a different Smoothwall Group for each directory.
- Select Save.
Note: You can edit the groups at any time. At this stage, you can’t delete a Smoothwall Group. If you have made a mistake, edit the group and remove all the incorrect groups and add the correct groups, or you can simply create a new Smoothwall Group.