DISCLAIMER: These instructions are only for the purpose of guidance when installing the Smoothwall Unified Desktop Client with a Windows Group Policy Object. They are NOT instructions how to use Windows software and should not be used as such.
PLEASE CONSULT YOUR WINDOWS DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION.
To use Smoothwall's Cloud Filter and Classroom Manager, you need to download and install the Windows Unified Desktop Client. The Unified Desktop Client forces Chrome to download the relevant extension to support Classroom Manager, Cloud Filter, or both depending on your licensing. You can do this using a Group Policy Object GPO. However, you need to create a provisioning GPO that runs before the Unified Desktop Client GPO.
We don't support 32-bit Windows-based devices. This installation will only work on 64-bit.
We will provide you with a PDF with a list of requirements and recommended settings.
YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS PROCESS IN THE ORDER WRITTEN OTHERWISE THIS WILL FAIL.
1. Create a group policy object to copy the provisioning file to your managed devices:
- On your network, open a shared network location, for example: \\MACHINE_NAME\Shared_Folder.
- In the network shared folder, right click and point to New, and then click Text Document. Type the name: Provisioning.
- Open the provisioning.txt file and type:
- For example:
- For example:
- Save and close the file.
- In your Group Policy Management, create a custom object with this exact name, see the Microsoft help topic, Create a custom Group Policy Object.
- Name: Provisioning
- Create a new file preference item with these settings, see the Microsoft help topic, To create a new File preference item.
- Action: Update
- File settings:
- Source file(s): Enter the full UNC path to the file including the file name. For example: \\MACHINE_NAME\Shared_Folder\provisioning.txt
- Destination File: C:\ProgramData\Smoothwall\Unified Desktop Client\provisioning.txt.
- Where "C:" is the local drive.
- You must use this full path including the file name because this is where the installation file looks for your licencing serial.
- Now log on to a student's device and check that the provisioning file is present in this location before continuing.
2. Create a group policy object to install the Unified Desktop Client:
- Go to https://customer.smoothwall.net/download/ and download the Unified Desktop Client file Windows x64 and save the file in the network shared folder, for example, \\MACHINE_NAME\Shared_Folder. This is so that the targeted device can access the file.
- Create a custom group policy object with the following name, see the Microsoft help topic, Create a custom Group Policy Object.
- Name: Unified Desktop Client
- Attach the installation file that you downloaded to the group policy object, see the Microsoft help topic, Open Group Policy Software Installation.
- Assign the application.
- Set permissions for the Group Policy Software Installation:
- Authenticated users:
- Special permissions
- Authenticated users:
- Ensure that the Provisioning policy is above the Installation policy. If the provisioning file GPO is not delivered before the MSI Installer GPO, the installation will fail to install.
For a multitenant organization, you can repeat these steps for each tenant.
Check that the services are running
- On a device with the Unified Desktop Client installed, click the Windows Start Menu, scroll to and click the Windows Administrative Tool, and then click Services.
- Ensure that the "Smoothwall Unified Desktop Client" is listed and has the Status of "Running" with a Startup Type of "Automatic".
- Also, ensure that the Smoothwall logo icon shows in the top right-hand side of the browser, which shows that the extension has been installed.
- For Cloud Filter, you should then try a website that you know that should be blocked by your policies. However, it takes a couple of minutes for the policies to update and 15 minutes from when you add a new policy to update. Therefore, you should test an existing policy.