Smoothwall Cloud Filter can be installed manually on unmanaged or otherwise 'non-domain' devices. This is only recommended for evaluation purposes as it cannot enforce the necessary restrictions to prevent user from circumventing the filter.
You will require
- Your Unified Client Serial Number (without spaces), which you will have received in your onboarding email from Support.
- The Unified Desktop Client software, available at https://software.smoothwall.com
- If you are part of a Multi-Tenant Smoothwall deployment, you will also need your Tenant ID which can be found on the Parent Smoothwall under System > Administration > Tenants.
Manual Installation Process
- Download the Unified Desktop Client from the Customer Downloads page.
- Extract the zip file to a convenient location.
- Open an elevated PowerShell and navigate to the extracted directory.
Type the command: get-executionpolicy
Note what the answer was.
Type the command: set-executionpolicy remotesigned
- Run the 'prepare-manual-install.ps1' script in the format:
.\prepare-manual-install.ps1 -SERIAL UNCL_SERIAL
If part of a multi-tenant Smoothwall deployment then:
.\prepare-manual-install.ps1 -SERIAL UNCL_SERIAL -TENANT TENANT_ID
Restore previous security level by typing the command:
set-executionpolicy the answer from 4
- Run the sw-uc-desktop-client installer from the same directory.
- The service will be running post-installation, however, a system reboot is advised.
Running diagnostics post-install, please follow:- https://kb.smoothwall.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016413920-Running-Cloud-Filter-Diagnostics