Instructions on using the Intelligent platform management interface (IMPI) tools available in the Smoothwall S12 and S14 units.
The Smoothwall S14 and S12 units have a daughterboard which can be used to monitor, even if the motherboard is down. This allows monitoring and recovery, even if the appliance is powered off or down such as:
- Before the operating system has been booted.
- When the system is powered down.
- In the unlikely event of an operating system failure.
Note: Teal coloured S14's do not have the IPMI module.
To access these tools on the S14, you need to load a IPMI kernel module:
- modprobe ipmi_devintf
This is not required on the S12.
To set an IP and gateway on the IPMI LAN:
- /usr/local/bin/ipmitool lan set 1 ipaddr 192.168.110.40
- /usr/local/bin/ipmitool lan set 1 netmask 255.255.255.0
- /usr/local/bin/ipmitool lan set 1 defgw ipaddr 192.168.110.254
- /usr/local/bin/ipmitool lan set 1 ipsrc static
Resetting the admin password:
- /usr/local/bin/ipmitool user list
Note the ID number for the ADMIN user:
- /usr/local/bin/ipmitool user set password 2
No reboot is required to see the IPMI web UI.