To install the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall software appliance or reinstall on a hardware appliance you can use a USB flash drive installer instead of the traditional CD-ROM ISO method.
To do this you will need:
- Smoothwall installation .img file
- USB Flash Drive 1GB or larger
- Workstation and flash imaging software to setup your USB flash drive
- For USB pen drive installation, you will need a .img file rather than the .iso. Contact your account manager and ask them to email you the .img file link to the correct version of Smoothwall Filter or Firewall that you need.
- Download a flash image writing software, if you don’t already have one. Software is available for most OS, for example, etcher.io.
- Plugin your USB flash drive and write the Smoothwall image using your preferred software.
- Once complete, configure the hardware that you’re installing the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall on to boot from USB. Usually, this is set in the system BIOS or via a one-time boot menu.
Note: Smoothwall hardware appliances are set to boot from USB first by default, in most cases you shouldn’t need to change any settings.
- Plug in your USB flash drive. Power on and if successful, you should see the Smoothwall Installer boot menu. You can now continue installation as normal.