To install the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall software appliance or reinstall on a hardware appliance you can use a USB flash drive installer instead of the traditional CD-ROM ISO method.
To do this you will need:
- Smoothwall installation .ISO file
- USB Flash Drive 1GB or larger
- Workstation and flash imaging software to setup your USB flash drive
- For USB pen drive installation, you will need software .iso. The correct ISO can be downloaded from https://software.smoothwall.com when you supply the Smoothwall serial number. Contact your account manager if you do not have a serial.
- Download a flash image writing software, if you don’t already have one. Software is available for most OS, for example, etcher.io.
- Plugin your USB flash drive and write the Smoothwall image using your preferred software.
- Once complete, configure the hardware that you’re installing the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall on to boot from USB. Usually, this is set in the system BIOS or via a one-time boot menu.
Note: Smoothwall hardware appliances are set to boot from USB first by default, in most cases you shouldn’t need to change any settings.
- Plug in your USB flash drive. Power on and if successful, you should see the Smoothwall Installer boot menu. You can now continue installation as normal.