You have Automatic authentication using NTLM and the Smoothwall Filter is using transparent authentication policies. To get Firefox working with the above, it needs to be told that sending credentials to the Smoothwall is allowed.
When using Firefox with Guardian NTLM authentication in transparent mode we always get an authentication dialogue prompt why?
You need to carry out the below procedure on each individual client device that uses the Firefox browser and needs to proxy through Guardian. The client device also needs to be able to resolve the Smoothwall hostnames without any domain information.
- Open Firefox and in the address bar, enter: about:config
- Continue past the warning, then search for NTLM.
- In the resulting list, search for the key: network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris
- Edit this key and add the hostname of the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall to the list.
- Multiple hostnames can be entered in a comma and space-separated list like this:
- guardian1, guardian2
- Save and exit.